Everyone loves cakes but do you know how to start a cake business in Nigeria (and Africa at large)? In Nigeria and around Africa, the cake-making industry is growing. With strong demand for cakes for special occasions like weddings, birthdays, and other celebrations, it is a successful business that has seen continuous growth in recent years. Due to the industry’s profitability, there has been a rise in the number of investors and entrepreneurs who are entering the market.
The cake market is already valued at over $50 billion globally, and it is projected to expand at a CAGR of 3.7% from 2021 to 2028. The increased desire for convenience foods, rising disposable income, and the expanding trend of customizing and personalizing cakes all contribute to this growth.
How to start a cake business in Nigeria (and why?)
The bakery sector is a key contributor to Nigeria’s food industry, which, according to the National Bureau of Statistics, accounts for 10% of the country’s GDP. With a CAGR of 5.5% over the projected period, the worldwide bakery market, which was valued at USD 203.8 billion in 2020, is anticipated to grow to USD 294.1 billion by 2026. This demonstrates the industry of cake baking’s enormous development potential.
Nigerians are willing to pay high rates for high-quality cakes, and the cake-baking industry is growing in popularity, particularly in urban areas. The growth of the sector has been aided by the increase in the middle class, as more people now have disposable income to spend on luxuries like cakes.
Nigeria has a vibrant culture of festivals and festivities that call for cakes, therefore the export potential of the cake-baking industry there is enormous. The peculiar flavor of Nigerian cakes makes them stand out on the global market. Nigerian cake bakers can capitalize on their uniqueness and develop a successful export business with the right branding and marketing strategies.
The creation of jobs in Nigeria and throughout Africa might also be considerably aided by the cake-baking industry. It is a labor-intensive sector that offers jobs for bakers, salespeople, and delivery staff in addition to cake decorators.
What Is the Nigerian and African Cake Baking Industry About?
The creation of many varieties of cakes utilizing a variety of ingredients, including flour, sugar, eggs, milk, and flavorings, is the focus of the cake-making industry. Due to its light and fluffy texture, the cake is referred to as “sponge cake” in scientific terms.
It is crucial to do in-depth market research on the need for various types of cakes, the target market, and their preferences in order to operate a successful cake-baking business in Nigeria and Africa. Producing high-quality cakes also requires an understanding of the baking procedure, recipe creation, and food safety regulations.
READ MORE: Flu Seizes China
Advantages of The African and Nigerian Cake Baking Industry
Profitability: Due to a developing market and rising demand for cakes, the cake-baking industry in Nigeria and Africa is quite profitable.
Creativity: Opportunities for creativity and innovation in cake designs and decorations are provided by the cake-making industry.
Flexibility: The company is adaptable and you can begin on a small scale and run from home with little capital.
Employment Creation: The cake baking sector offers both skilled and unskilled labor employment prospects.
Personal satisfaction: Seeing consumers love and appreciate the cakes you have baked is a satisfying and fulfilling experience.
Diversification: The company presents prospects for growth and diversification into new markets like catering, event management, and event planning.
Possibilities For Business In The Cake Baking Industry In Nigeria And Africa
- It is possible to start a business in the field of e-commerce by establishing a presence in the e-commerce space. To draw clients, you can use social media platforms to market, as well as relatives and friends.
- Cake-making classes: You can instruct others in cake-baking and make a decent living doing so. For larger sessions, you might rent a commercial venue or offer classes in your house.
- For weddings, birthdays, and other special occasions, you can provide cake decorating services. This is a business where you can make a lot of money if you have the necessary abilities and inventiveness.
How To Start A Cake Business In Nigeria: A Step-by-Step Guide
Establishing a cake-baking business in Nigeria or elsewhere in Africa might be lucrative. Here is a step-by-step instruction on how to begin:
- Carry out market research to discover the local demand for cakes, your target market, and the level of local competitors.
- Create a business plan: Create a thorough business plan that details your company’s objectives, target market, marketing plans, pricing, and financial forecasts.
- Get all required permits and licenses and register your business with the appropriate authorities.
- Securing a location is important for setting up your bakery. Depending on your price range, you can either rent or buy a space.
- Equipment purchases: Invest in the tools you’ll need, like ovens, mixers, refrigerators, and baking supplies.
- Employ personnel: To help with the baking process, hire support staff and competent, seasoned bakers.
- Create a menu: Create a menu of cakes with various flavors, sizes, and aesthetics that are appealing to your target audience.
- Create a supply chain: Create a supply chain for your baking ingredients and supplies, making sure they are of high caliber and reasonable prices.
- Create a marketing plan: Create a marketing plan to advertise your company and draw clients. This can involve word-of-mouth marketing, flyers, and social media advertising.
- launch your company: Start your cake-baking company, keep an eye on your results, and tweak your tactics as needed.
It, however, takes a lot of hard work and dedication to start a cake business in Nigeria. But, you can also easily launch a successful cake-baking business with the correct training, tools, and marketing techniques.